Welcome to the Irish Tech Community
A few things to note:
The Irish Tech Community is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, work, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or have membership revoked at the discretion of the organizers.
ITC is not a substitute for legal advice from a professional lawyer/barrister.
ITC should be considered SFW (Safe for Work). As a rule of thumb, before you post anything, consider if you’d want a co-worker or your boss to see it. While the admins are aware that ITC is used by both professionals and vistors alike the tone shall be kept as SFW and to be used in a Social capacity until the community decides otherwise.
The following is not allowed:
- Any content which is not in keeping with the Code of Conduct.
- Blatantly sexual content (pornography, nudity, etc.)
- Misogyny, ableism, sexism racism, nationalist insults etc.
- Personal abuse.
- Links to anything which would break the rules if posted directly.
- Posting any private phone numbers.
- Advocating criminality or violence.
- Trolling (A ‘troll’ is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users. These users should be reported to admins immediately.)
- Posting libellous material.
- Misdirection or deceiving links (such as to sites which hijack the browser, rickroll, etc.).
- Anything illegal.
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights of others.
- Identify or speculate as to the identity of any pseudonymous user. The exception to this being Admins ruling out users who have already been banned using a different username
- Soliciting passwords or personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes
- Posting content in respect of any matter that is currently before the courts
- Posting Spam of any description.
- Posting or soliciting any members for anything outside of #selfpromo (when it’s to do with any product or service that you or your company are now producing/marketing)
- Posting or soliciting any members to contribute to or take part in any survey.
- Ignoring Admins requests to cooperate.
What is Harassment?
- Harassment includes verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the admins may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or having their account disabled. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact an administrator (private messages can be sent via Slack and are encouraged).
Where can I find an Admin?
- You can ping the admins by @admins. Otherwise the active admins are: @specious, @oisin, @colmdoyle & @mikem (as of 2017)
- Admins will be happy to assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe in this community.
- You can find other details for admins at the http://irishtechcommunity.com/adminguide/
Concerning Accounts & Slack Features
- A person should have one account, and each account should be one person. We do not allow company names, or accounts to join the channel. For example 1; you can be apart of X company but you are here to be apart of the community and as an indiviual. Example 2 :if you have a company called “foobar inc” and you join as “foobar” then that’s a company name and that’s against the toc.
You may not join if:
- You are currently banned for any reason.
- You are joining solely to spam.
What you agree to by joining:
- Act responsibly.
- Treat others with respect.
- Abide by the rules.
- @here @channel @everyone are turned off so people don’t get unwanted notificaitons, or abuse of the feature.
If something goes wrong, get help by:
- Asking for help in channel by typing “@admins”
- If you wish to message an admin individually, you can see a list of current admins by typing ‘hubot admins’ in any channel
- Sending a direct message to someone listed as an admin.
- Asking for help in the #admin channel (With admins present).
If you would like to provide feedback on any of the above, or suggest an addition, please contact an admin or post in the admin channel.
A new integration will be in place for Politics that will make #politics read only for a duration that is seen fit by an admin. This is to ensure that when things get too heated in terms of breaches of our COC. The channel will be frozen, then an admin will assess what happened in channel. If warnings are required, they will be delivered in terms of DM. However, too many repeat offences will result in a ban from the channel and a possible overall ban will be considered.
The admin team feels that while having a space to discuss politics is important - this can only be done in alignment with the TOC of the overall slack. Breaches of these TOC are considered serious by the team, and will be dealt with. If repeated incidents of this happen where we are repeatedly warning people, we will consider the possibilty of shutting down the channel perminantly - with a view that there are many other places on the internet to discuss politics.